Confidential destruction of personal data can be a very important part. However, proper management and recycling of these materials is also of the utmost importance and due care must be taken.

Η GreenFence

Our business is not just a shipping company that trades these materials. We are one of the few production plants in Greece that has the Shipping & Processing Licenses for the materials we receive. Without these licenses, management and processing of computers is ILLEGAL! (Presidential Decree 117/2004 GG 82A Chapter C “Specific Provisions for WEEE Management” Articles 9 and 10).

These materials must be managed by appropriately licensed companies that know how to protect the environment and their employees from the hazardous elements that may be contained in them. We provide materials for recycling to protect the environment and to not burden it. Our business has heavily invested in proper management of these materials, and after 40 years of recycling experience we can say “We Know What We Are Doing!”

Relevant Greek Legislation

EU Directives


For more information on European Union WEEE Laws please visit the following page:

eu map

It is estimated that around 50 million tonnes of Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) is generated and discarded worldwide every year at an annual growth rate of approximately 3% to 5%. Out of these, only 20% to 25% are recycled and the remaining 75% to 80% (approximately 40 million tonnes) end up in dumps or incinerated.

The European Union has set a minimum per capita recycling rate of 4 kg WEEE per citizen, although the WEEE rate produced by the average European citizen is 16 kg! Although Greece has made great efforts in this direction, there is enough room for improvement to reach and exceed European standards. The map below is from the Statistical Office of the European Union and shows the kilos per capita recycled for each country of the EU during years 2010 and 2012.

eu map
overview of e-waste information

In 2010, Greece had a recycling rate of 3.9kg of electrical and electronic equipment, while in 2012, instead of climbing, that figure dropped to 3.2kg. Of course, as shown on the map, in the countries where the financial crisis of 2010 was more severe, there was a small or a larger corresponding decline. This can be explained by :

Firstly, lower WEEE consumption. It is certain that the purchases of electrical and electronic equipment declined significantly in 2012 compared to 2010, thus reducing the volume of recycled material.

Secondly, companies closing. Many recycling companies have closed leading to reduction of WEEE collection.

Thirdly, limiting effort and investment in new technologies and facilities.

WEEE, according to statistics reported on the official UN site, was 14.80 kg per citizen in 2012. With only 3.2 kg of them being recycled (about 21%) it is apparent that most WEEE is still being dumped in the trash as municipal waste.


WEEE may be relatively safe to use as their harmful elements are inactive. However, during decomposition or uncontrolled combustion, they become quite toxic to soil and humans. It is noteworthy that according to a US study, WEEE accounts for only 2% of the total volume of garbage dumped but at the same time 70% of Toxic Waste.

All WEEE contain many toxic elements such as heavy metals (eg Lead), toxins, etc. and for this reason proper management and decontamination of these elements prior to their recycling is crucial.

A typical example of WEEE toxicity is “GUIYU” city in China. This city is regarded as the “WEEE Capital of the World” which employs about 150,000 people in this field. Inappropriate recycling processes, such as uncontrolled combustion, create huge outbreaks of pollution. A study for blood lead levels performed by Professor HuoXia on a sample of 165 children in the city of “GUIYU” showed an average of 149 while a value of above 100 is considered unsafe. These levels of lead in the bloodstream can lead to immense damage to the kidneys, nervous system, impede the proper development of children (physical and mental as IQ development is affected) and many other side effects.

Even though China is far away, air and water pollution is a phenomenon that affects the whole world, and we must do all we can to protect the environment.

For more information you can visit the page of the European Union Statistical Service (click HERE) or the United Nations agencies for recycling WEEE: (click HERE).

guiyu map